The Holidays are coming full speed ahead. This time of year things tends to move rather quickly. With so much to do and so little time it's easy to forget things that are out of sight and out of mind, like your plumbing system. A homes plumbing system sees a lot of action during the Holiday season with all the cooking and entertaining and extra house guests. Let's face it a plumbing emergency is the last thing you want to deal with during the Holidays. The best defense is prevention. Here are some Holiday plumbing tips.
Garbage Disposal – One of the hardest working components in your home is the garbage disposal. Often times its also the most mistreated. When things go awry with your garbage disposal it can lead to all kinds of plumbing disasters. Fortunately, this is one of the easiest plumbing disasters to avoid.
- Don’t put things that don’t belong; trash, bones, fibrous food scrapes like potato peals should all go in the trash can, not your garbage disposal
- Never pour grease down the drain. Over time it can harden and collect debris and cause clogs in your plumbing. Just don’t do it!
- Always run the water when using the garbage disposal.
- Avoid using the dishwasher if you are having issues with your garbage disposal, this can further complicate the issue.
- Never put plastic or paper in the garbage disposal. These can collect overtime and cause a blockage.
Plumbing Fixtures – If you are expecting a lot of house guests this holiday season then you may want to consider the condition of your plumbing fixtures in your guest bathroom. Make sure that everything is in working order. You should check for leaks and also check the water pressure. Check the toilet to make sure it isn’t leaking or running. Make any necessary repairs before your house guests arrive. You not only want to avoid a plumbing disaster but also a higher water bill because you have old leaky plumbing fixtures.
These Holiday plumbing tips are designed to help you avoid any unnecessary plumbing disasters. Of course, not all plumbing disasters are completely avoidable, but taking the proper steps can help avoid preventable plumbing disasters. Remember in the event of a plumbing disaster call your plumber right away to avoid any further damage. Happy Holidays from Courtesy Plumbing!